Colours are known to trigger our subconscious mind, and enhance our intuition. If you understand the meanings of colours on the Tarot cards, it will bring more insights and depth to your Tarot readings. Knowing the meanings of colours will help you in understanding the Tarot better. It will also add multiple layers and different dimensions to you interpretation skills.
What the different colours in represent in Tarot….
- Red: Red is a vibrant colour and it represents passion, primal urges, accomplishment, pleasure, enthusiasm, glow, vitality and love.
- Orange: Orange is the combination of red and yellow, and is about harmony, desires, warmth, gratification, courage and intelligence.
- Yellow: Yellow reminds us about the sun and it represents creativity, security, mental power, positivity and clarity.
- Green: New leaves in spring bring forth the green around us. Green comes with rejuvenation, newness, freshness, nature, adventure, growth and good health. .
- Blue: The vast sky above us is blue and it represents open spaces, freedom, imagination, expansiveness, motivation, and sensitivity.
- Indigo: Indigo is a shade of blue, but darker and hence represents the more intense qualities of depth, potency, flexibility and expressiveness.
- Violet: Violet reminds us of spirituality, empathy, morals, devotion and values.
- Brown: That’s the colour of Mother Earth and therefore it represents being grounded, earthiness, physicality, practicality, security, stability, and solidity
- Grey: Grey makes us feel gloomy. Grey indicates uncertainty, neutrality, vagueness, unknown, and seriousness.
- Black: Black gives all other colors a certain darkness and depth. It represents formality, dignity, force, obscurity, negativity, ignorance and lack of clarity.
- White: White stands for peace, cleansing, illumination, purity, innocence, compassion, clarity and the highest type of understanding.
Our Chakras are also associated with particular colours. Each of our Chakras is also associated with specific aspect of human behavior, emotions and stage of development. They are also closely connected to specific parts of our body and certain organs. Correlating the colours on the Tarot cards with the Chakras they represent give additional insights during a Tarot reading.
The seven Chakras are as follows…
- Root Chakra – RED – Red represents our survival instinct, self-esteem and need for security. It also represents material stability and a firm foundation.
- Sacral Chakra – ORANGE – Orange is representative of sexuality and sexual energy. Thus, it deals with our ability to connect with people, fertility and procreation.
- Solar Plexus Chakra – YELLOW – Yellow represents the need for control, because this chakra is the ‘brain centre’ of our nervous system – it’s here that we experience the ‘gut feeling’. Hence, this colour represents intellect and mental power.
- Heart Chakra – Green – Heart is from where love and compassion emanate, and therefore green radiates sympathy, forgiveness, harmony, unity, growth and abundance.
- Throat Chakra – BLUE – Blue represents our ability to communicate. The vibration of this colour raises our consciousness and hence it represents calmness, devotion, sincerity and truth.
- Third Eye Chakra – Indigo – Indigo is a colour of depth, intensity and wisdom as this Chakra controls our ability to see, hear and smell beyond the obvious. It represents intuition, inner voice and inner vision.
- Crown Chakra – VIOLET – This is the Chakra that connects us to the Source, or the Universal Consciousness, and so this colour represents true greatness, worthiness, awareness, mysticism and the sense of prophecy.